Why we need puppy socialisers
Support Dogs are excited to announce that we will be launching our own puppy programme. We are looking for volunteer puppy socialisers to prepare our for training as life changing support dogs.
As a puppy socialiser you will play a vital role in our puppies formative years, caring for a puppy in your home and providing them with the socialisation and training they will need. This is a unique opportunity to not only care for a lovely dog but help Support Dogs change the lives of people affected by autism, epilepsy and disability. To find out more about our work and the impact our puppies have on the lives of their owners, watch our short film.
What is takes to be a puppy socialiser
- You must be committed to homing a puppy for 12-18 months and not leave them alone for more than 3 hours within a 24 hour period
- Feel you can cope with typical puppy behaviours
- Feel you can meet the physical and mental needs of the puppy
- Be able to provide basic training and new experiences
- Live within 1 hour drive of Sheffield
- Be able to attend regular obedience classes at our office in Sheffield and host regular home visits
- Be wiling to attend training before the placement begins
- Be able and willing to get the dog to a vet in a case of emergency
- Have an fully enclosed garden
- Follow the diet as advised by the trainer
- Inform the trainer of any changes or concerns with behaviour and health no matter how small
- Families with children are welcome, but there must be no children under 2 years of age living in the household
- Due to seizure alert dogs we are not able to consider families with someone who has uncontrolled epilepsy living in the home
- You must not have a dog in your home, other pets will be considered on an individual basis
- You must not be banned from owning a dog or any other convictions towards animals
- You must be allowed to have a dog in your home – we will need written permission if it is rented accommodation
- We provide all equipment a puppy socialiser will need including food, vet care, flea and worming treatments and have our 24 hour emergency phone line.
If this sounds like you, book on your place on our open day to be held on Tuesday 14th August 2018. Please complete the form below to book a place and we will be in touch with more information and to discuss your application